Monday, August 25, 2008

Shhhh! The Baby’s Sleeping!

So, I am definitely one of those mothers who checks on her baby at least once an hour while she is sleeping. (Well, not after I go to bed – I’m not that crazy!) When she was a newborn I checked to make sure she was still breathing, still swaddled, still on her back, not touching the forbidden bumpers, and all the other neuroses new moms possess. Now, I just love to watch her sleep.

Anna is a good sleeper (please don’t let that jinx anything!) and when she is down for the night, she sleeps hard. The positions she chooses to sleep in crack me up. Lately her choice position is knees pulled under her with her bottom straight up in the air. Jason and I have had some good chuckles standing over her crib.

On my nightly checks I tip toe soooo quietly into her room and peer over the crib rail. I usually just peek and then tiptoe out. Sometimes I place her pacifiers near her or put her favorite bunny back by her side. And, ok, I admit it, sometimes I lay my hand lightly on her back/stomach to make sure she’s breathing (hey, old habits…).

A few nights ago, though, I did something incredibly stupid. Remember that Friends episode where Rachel picks up Emma while she’s sleeping because she just wanted to hold her? Yeah, I did that. Anna looked so sweet and peaceful that I just had to hug and cuddle her. That peace shattered the second I picked her up. She let out a scared, confused cry (wouldn’t you if someone lifted you out of your bed while you were deep in sleep?) and then woke up and didn’t go back to sleep for two hours. I felt so bad and she made me pay for it.

Lesson learned. Don’t disturb a sleeping baby!

No comments: