Saturday, June 25, 2011

Gimme glue, mommy!

Over the last month Anna has become obsessed with her scissors.  Each day she has spent at least 15 minutes a day cutting - magazines, notebook paper, coloring books, wrapping paper, paper towels...if it's made of paper (ONLY PAPER! :)) in our house, she has probably cut it.  This activity started shortly after school let out and Anna informed me her teachers told her that she should practice using scissors this summer. 

Well, she has followed their instructions diligently (why won't she follow mine with as much zeal?!?).  In fact she has done so much cutting to require a paper bag to hold all of the snippets.  It's emblazoned with "Anna's Bag o' Cut Stuff".  Her skills have improved with the practice — she's gone from clipping haphazard shapes and sizes to cutting actual pictures out of magazines.  This week she got it in her head that she wanted to put the clippings on paper to create art (when I told her that was called a collage she looked at me like I had 2 heads).  I had to dash her collage dream the first time she suggested it because I surprisingly couldn't find one tube or stick of glue in the house.  Apparently afraid I would forget she wanted glue, Anna felt the need to remind me every chance she got...

"Mommy, I need glue."
"Mommy, did you get my glue yet?"
"Mommy, where is the glue??"
"I have a good idea, mommy!  You can go to the store now and get me some glue!"

Well, I fulfilled her request and she immediately set to work sticking her precious cuttings to paper.  Anna is a crafter and loves projects - so far, the $1.79 I spent on Elmer's White School Glue has paid us back in over an hour of quiet, diligent gluing activity.  Here is one of the many collages she has made in the last two days.  The pictures are a funny mix from Parents, High Five (Highlights for little kids) and Entertainment Weekly magazines.  So, if you look closely, you'll see cute babies, cartoon bugs, and Bella Swan (for you Twilight fans out there)...


1 comment:

KLZ said...

Am I to assume this 60 minutes of quiet was not 60 minutes IN A ROW? Because in my house I still can't achieve that.