Thursday, August 27, 2009

Making Sense of Scribbles

Recently, Anna is very into coloring, stickers and crafts, which really excites me. Secretly I love coloring books and one of my favorite smells is a new box of crayons.

This week Anna made (what I consider) a major leap in her doodling - as she was coloring one day she pointed at her paper and said, "Bunny!" She continued to draw the same scribble and repeated, "Bunny!", after each attempt. Then, she said, "Circle!" and started making large loops with the crayon. (The credit for the circles goes to her awesome nanny who has been working with Anna on learning shapes.) Now, the circles are by no means perfect, but I think they are pretty good for a 20-month-old! It is so neat to see that she now understands she can create a representation of an object through drawing. I do see, though, that I'll have to start making decisions about what "art" to keep and what to toss...

Bunnies & Circles

Here's a picture of her showing off her latest craft creation...it's alien Anna...

No comments: