Tuesday, March 10, 2009

1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish...

One of my favorite places in Atlanta is the Georgia Aquarium. I have been several times since it opened and there is something so peaceful to me about watching fish swim. This year we purchased passes and have definitely gotten our money's worth, having gone five times since December.

I love having a pass because you can stay for one hour or only go to two exhibits and not feel guilty about wasting your admission ticket.

There are downsides to the Aquarium, namely crowds...which is why my mom eyed me a little warily when I suggested we go while she and my sister were here last week. I attribute this to the first time she had gone, which was during Christmas break the year it opened. Needless to say, the crowds were insane.

I felt I needed to redeem the Aquarium experience for my mom and sister and assured them that we would have plenty of elbow room this time. I have found that if you visit when kids are in school, you pretty much have the place (relatively) to yourself. You may have to contend with a field trip or two, but if you arrive around 11:45 a.m., they tend to be eating lunch. And, they always stick together so you can easily avoid the exhibit they are in at any given time.

This time we were able to take our time exploring the exhibits, we touched many a slimy aquatic creature, and saw Deepo (whom Anna was very interested in this time - it's hit or miss with each visit). Gramma and Maddie also saw the 4D movie while Anna scarfed down some lunch.


I look forward to many more visits and am eager for the penguins to make thier return. Also, I'm looking forward to the addition of dolphins next year. Go Flipper!

Of course, no visit to the Aquarium is complete without a stop in the gift shop (only browsing for us). Maybe it was being on our feet for too long or maybe there is something in the Aquarium air, but Maddie and I found ourselves quite entertained by a display of wind-up toys. Enjoy the dancing people below...




No comments: