Thursday, March 17, 2011

Big Sister Anna

It's no surprise that Anna's life has probably been the one most turned upside down by James' arrival.  From my perspective she has handled the transition from only child to "big sister" quite well.  Of course, she has had her moments and exhibited some frustrating attention seeking behavior, but we knew that was and will continue to be expected. Deep breaths and counting to 10 has helped in most cases...


What has shocked me is how BIG Anna seems to me now.  Everything about her seemed to still say baby before we had James, but now, she just looks GIANT.  She fell asleep on my lap a few days ago while watching a movie and I just marveled at how HUGE her head was in the crook of my arm.  She's definitely not a baby anymore, as the picture below shows.  (Outfit choice was one of Anna's finer combinations, I think.  :)


She is genuinely interested in the baby and wants to help by holding him, picking out diapers and clothes, giving him his paci or feeding him.  Unfortunately her attention span doesn't always last the duration of the task at hand.  Particularly feeding him, which she thinks should take approximately 4.2 seconds.  And, she always remarks on "how cute our baby is!".

So far she hasn't said anything disparaging about James to me or Jason...but apparently she told Gramma and Papa Odie that she was going to, "spit in his bed."  So, we'll just have to keep an eye on that.

On the second day James was home she said to me, "Mama, I'm so proud to have our new baby home."  I'll have to remember that if we do end up finding any spit in his bed...

No comments: