Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Puree Away!

I’m finding one challenge of parenting to be around food. Now that Anna is eating solids, I have constant thoughts running through my head like…

  • Is she eating enough?
  • Is she eating too many fruits and not enough veggies?
  • Is this assortment of food going to make her a picky eater?
  • When should she get meat?
  • Organic or not organic?
  • Where can I buy an adult-size bib to protect me when she blows a raspberry with a mouthful of sweet potatoes?
  • Is poop really supposed to be neon orange and green?

When Anna was ready to start eating “real” food, I decided to try my hand at making her baby food (go ahead, call me crazy). I figured, it seems easy enough: steam some veggies, throw them in the food processor, and voila!

Turns out, it is SUPER easy (and affordable – a fact which earned me an extra gold star from Jason). Sunday nights are usually my time to steam, boil, bake and puree. One night of prep yields 2-3 weeks worth of food, depending on what I am making. Our freezer has turned into a rainbow of frozen fruit and veggie purees, and my food processor is reveling in attention after sitting untouched in a cabinet for 5 years...

To date I’ve made apples, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, pears, peas, green beans, broccoli, butternut squash, carrots and sweet potatoes. Also, cereal and bananas (but I don’t cook those!)…The other day I actually boiled a chicken breast and pureed it in the food processor – it was interesting and a bit gross. I think I may wait on other meat until Anna can handle bite size pieces.

Lucky for us, Anna is a great eater and will devour pretty much anything. She’s come a long way from her first experience with solid food – avocado. After her first bite, she gave me the most appalled, “what in the heck is that?!?” look I have ever seen. Avocado is the only food she won’t eat – I think that first bite is still engraved on her mind. I’m going to keep giving it to her, though. After all, what is a life without guacamole??

No comments: