Monday, August 19, 2013

Off to preschool

All smiles before school.
A few days after Anna's first day of "real" school, James started preschool. Leading up to the day he was not very enthusiastic. If you asked him if he was going to school you might get a dismissive shrug or a flat out "No!". I did hold out some hope that his attitude was shifting when we visited his school to meet his teachers and visit his classroom. On that day he eagerly explored the classroom and was thrilled to find trucks, puzzles, and even a sand box.

On the morning of the big day he showed no concerns. In fact, unlike his sister, we got an excellent "first day" photo, smiles and all. Anna refused to cooperate for pictures on her first day. And, when I walked him into his classroom he seemed great. Until he realized I was going to leave. Then he started to whimper and his bottom lip started shaking and he gave me what Jason and I have termed "the saddest look in the world". Then I started to whimper.

It took me completely by surprise but the waterworks kicked in and I could not hold it together. I don't know if it was because he cried or if I realized that my baby was not so little anymore. Luckily the school they are at has the best teachers and staff - I gave James one last hug and one of the teachers swooped in and diverted his attention with a game of restaurant while I slipped out the door (still crying). When I got outside, I found I wasn't the only weepy mom. Two other women were also crying and we were able to laugh with each other over the situation.

I honestly don't remember crying when taking Anna to her first day of school. Of course she didn't have a weapon like "the saddest look in the world". Of course I knew James would be fine, and even though he did cry when I picked him up after the first day, he got a great report from his teacher, and chatted with me the whole way home. Luckily I didn't cry again!
A popsicle to celebrate the first day.

1 comment:

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.