Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Latest Obsession




Pinky pie. Scootaloo. Applejack. Princesses Celestia and Luna. The lands of the lands of Equestria and Canterlot…

If you'd said those words to me four months ago I would have had no idea what you were referring to. Today, however, they are part of our household vernacular thanks to Anna's new obsession, My Little Pony.

I wrote awhile ago about her love of princesses, and while she still very fond of them, these ponies have definitely galloped in and stolen some of the thunder.

We know more about ponies and unicorns and pegasus-unicorns (!) and cutie marks than I ever would have thought possible. Did you know ponies drink tea and have their own tea sets? Did you know they wear dresses? And that some ponies have pets? Well now you do.

The girl plays does play nonstop with these ponies. The most common question in our house of late is, "Can we play ponies now?". (I've been asked this question many times at 6:30 a.m. with Anna standing at my bedside).

Most of the time I'm happy to oblige (never pre-coffee, though). I do admit that I suffer from the occasional bouts of pony burnout. At those times, I try to exercise patience and try really hard to remember that her imagination (which we adults don't use enough) and energy (which kids have in endless supply) is a good thing.

I'm sure in the future I'll be longing for the day when her obsession was My Little Pony versus the newest boy band of the moment. Although considering the amount of NKOTB paraphernalia I owned, I'll probably like them, too...














No comments: