Tuesday, January 18, 2011

But I want Pretty Pants!

Everything I've read about the personality of three-year-olds terms this year as the year of, "I can do it myself!" and "Hey, I have an opinion now!".

Nowhere is this more evident with Anna than when it's time to get dressed.  You've seen the "pretty pink skirt" now in several photos.  This came with a pair of ballet-themed PJs and she wears it pretty much over anything (yes, she has worn it to school on more than one occasion).

On Sunday, as I was trying to get us out the door to the grocery store, Anna became adamant that she wear a "pretty" pair of pants.  In this case, the pants in question were shorts with hot pink, yellow and blue flowers.  Now, yes, these are pretty pants, but not when it's 40 degrees outside (an point which of course fell on deaf ears...).  After arguing over this for 10 minutes, I had an epiphany - why do I care what she wears to the store?  Truly a "pick your battles" moment.  I considered it a win when I convinced her to switch from the pretty shorts to "pretty" leggings with blue, pink and purple birds - which are now about 3 inches too short on her, as you can see in the picture.

She topped off the leggings with a maroon, orange and green striped sweater, hot pink shoes, blue socks (hey, a match!!), a purple headband and, of course, the pink ballet skirt.

I'm sure Amy Chua would have lots to say about my letting Anna decide on her clothes, but it made for a much more pleasant and fast exit of the house.  And really, considering the fashion scene that is Publix, what was I worried about in the first place?

No comments: