Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Big Doings

Anna is potty trained. I can hardly believe it because it happened literally overnight.

Over the last few months we'd been dabbling in potty training but never really buckled down or got formal about it. We did dole out the occasional M&Ms for a successful use of the potty, but the times that happened you could tell Anaa was really in it for the sweets and not the triumph of "tee teeing in the potty".

So, imagine my surprise when during lunch on Saturday, February 20 (recording the date for posterity…), Anna announced that she needed to go potty. I said, "Ok, go ahead.", and she promptly jumped off her chair and scurried to the bathroom.

I didn't get up to follow until a few minutes later when I heard a slightly panicked/frustrated cry coming from the bathroom (in my defense, she'd never proactively told me she needed to go potty!). I found her with her pants off but struggling to remove her diaper. It struck me then that something big was happening.

I took off her diaper and she hopped up on the potty and did her business (and not just number 1!?!). And she hasn't looked back (or, more surprisingly, requested M&Ms).

Gone are diapers during the day – we're all about the big girl panties now. We've even successfully made it through several public outings with no accidents...yet (I don't kid myself here). She really wants to wear panties to sleep but we're not quite there yet as I believe there is a finite number of times you can change a crib sheet within a week's span without totally losing your marbles. I guess we have to think about a big girl bed now. Where did that baby go???

Needless to say we are very proud of Miss Anna B. And, apparently I’ve told her this often when she uses the potty. I know this because Anna now comes in the bathroom while I am using the facilities and says, "Good job, mama, I so proud of you for going potty."

I am sure when she gets older that she will not be super fond of this picture and the fact that I made it public for all to see, but it's a milestone too big to not document. Plus, the picture is cute...

3 comments:

Elizabeth Seymour said...

WOW! Congratulations - this is a HUGE one! I think PT is about my least favorite element of parenting, so I'll try not to be too irritated that yours happened overnight :) And yes, that picture is priceless!

KLZ said...

That photo is truly priceless.

And I'm proud of you too Amy ;)

Crystal said...

freaking hysterical - LOVE that pic! Congrats! :)