Saturday, April 25, 2009

What a day!

Today was a great day. Just one of those days you look back on and say, "Wow, I really enjoyed today." Nothing too remarkable occurred, just a day with a lot of smiles that makes you appreciate the little things.

This morning Jason got up with Anna while I enjoyed a leisurely shower and got ready in peace (meaning, I didn't have to say, "don't eat the mascara," and "stop sticking Q-tips up your nose," and "for the last time, I won't open the fingernail polish remover because it is NOT juice...").

Jason then headed downstairs with his dad to continue their work on the basement while Anna and I had a breakfast of oatmeal with blueberries. Anna also had sprinkles in hers...apparently oatmeal is more appealing with rainbow specks. Anna then watched "Super Why" and actually allowed me to read two chapters of my latest book club selection. Typically as soon as I show interest in something other than what she is doing, she worms her way into my lap and I can kiss me-time goodbye.

Next we headed to the Smyrna Jonquil Festival to meet Cruz and Summer and enoy the beautiful morning. I didn't see any jonquils...I really probably wouldn't be able to identify a jonquil, but the festival was nice nonetheless. I did eat a soft frozen lemonade, which is always awesome. Anna agreed. She and Cruz had a great time running around and bouncing in the jump houses. They even got balloons! ;)


Next up, grab lunch for the basement work crew. After lunch with Jason and Fa Fa, Anna was pooped and went down for her nap. She slept for almost 3.5 hours, during which I made very good headway in my book (To Kill A Mockingbird for anyone who is interested and not in the book club...).

After her nap, we joined Jason and Fa Fa in the basement for an inspection (all looks good - we have doors now!) then headed back outside for some fun with chalk (or "caulk" as Anna says). Given her marathon nap, we managed to avoid the hottest time of the day (good work, Anna!). After chalk was no longer of interest, we made our way to the backyard for a picnic snack, some swinging, bubbles and a pail.


The pail turned out to be the hit of the day. We filled it with rocks, mulch and the piece-de-resistance, water. Who knew splashing in a bucket could be so fun, but it delighted Anna to no end. At some point during the waterfest I decided to remove her dress in an effort to salvage it for another day so she ended up running around in her diaper and bloomers. I thought she looked very cute, albeit, a bit redneck, but hey, who really cares...

The day ended on a high note for the Bergstrom household, with the Red Sox beating the Yankees in a crazy good game. Jason got Anna to perfect her "out!" and "safe!" signs and we even got one fairly intelligible "Go Red Sox!" out of her.

And now, here I am, making sure I get this day down for the memory books. Like I said, nothing too remarkable happened, but everything about it sure was special.




2 comments:

Rogers Family said...

I just love those days. We have them here and there and, as you said at the end of the day, it is nothing just so wonderful we did, but it was a wonderful day. We have to see pictures of the basement when it is finished. :)

Crystal said...

Awww, this seriously made me smile and think of my sweet Kylie-bear when she was that age! I can picture her in the front yard with only her bathing suit bottoms on and all her chubby rolls! I'm all about the topless thing (not me of course - just the babies!)